Thursday, December 6, 2007

Playtime

View From Studio Window

Okay, I haven't been very good about updating my blog. I would love to confess that I've been playing but in reality I'm running around doing errands and kid stuff.
So, the snow arrives and I'm not really happy about it. I don't know that most of us are. It's kind of a hassle and you risk an accident everytime you leave the driveway. So yesterday I go to pick up my youngest at school and there he is~ his head is in the snow and he's pushing it along like he's snowplow. Why he's out of his mind I'm thinking and I'm looking around and all the children are smiling and laughing and playing. Wow. They look forward to the snow and they see this gift from Mother Nature as something fun! I don't want to dread it and when I'm standing in the kitchen window or looking out my studio window and the sun is out then I'm surprised by the incredible beauty. Okay, so I love the snow from the inside looking out. Now if I could get some sort of tank to drive me around safely that would be cool.
So, email me or do a comment and tell me what is your favorite playtime. It doesn't have to be related to snow just that it brings you joy. Joy like in making you laugh and smile like a child. I'll pick one and the winner will get a Bead Girl Train case for a wonderful holiday surprise!

Tree Goddess Necklace

I'm supposed to be home, tucked away in my new beautiful studio making lots of jewelry. Turns out I'm a little ADD and the dishes, laundry blah blah blah get my attention first! So, in a whole month all I made is this necklace. I've got to tell you that I just love it! Thank you Melanie of Earthenwood Studios for making such gorgeous pendants and giving me an opportunity to make something beautiful.


The New Studio
Well, here it is. Not the best picture but it's filled with very happy people taking the Lisa Blackwell of ZoaArt and Cynthia Thorton of GreenGirlStudio workshop. I believe I did mention how lucky I felt. We had the best time! And anytime you can get a class with these fabulous artists it's worth every minute and every penny. We learned so much and were so inspired. My pics of the resin pendants we made did not come out well. I had too much glare from the resin but a previous post shows what the project was. My hope is that the girls loved it enough to come back in the Spring and teach another class!

9 comments:

Ruth Rae said...

I can not wait to see it!
it looks great!

joan said...

First your view from your window is wonderful. I have to agree that seeing a fresh blanket of snow on the ground is beautiful.

Although a love the warm weather so summer if my favorite season, I have to say a favorite pastime is in fall and walking through a big pile of leaves. The crunch sounds so fresh and makes me feel like a child again. Although I tend to complain sometimes about the weather, I love living in the Midwest. There is something special about each season.

See you soon.
Joan

dogfaeriex5 said...

well, i am taking some joy in the picture in my head of your son~the snowplow!!! i love to go out on the patio in the crisp air at night and smell the air especially if someone has a fire going..that campfire smell is heaven and i also love the fallen snow in the morning when it is fresh and no marks on it but it glistens like a blanket of diamonds just sparkling in the morning sun.....
xoxoxo~

Sue Thelan said...

We grown ups forget about the magic of the season and the beauty of the first snow fall. I love to walk at night after a big snow fall. It's really quiet outside and the snow muffles all the sounds so you can't hear anything. It is very peaceful and it makes me forget about the world around me.

And I agree with Joan - I love living in the Midwest - snow, ice, rain and all!

Anonymous said...

I have two favorite playtimes and they are at opposite ends of the seasonal scale. The first being the first few days of spring when the sun is really trying to shine hard and it feels soooo good on your face after such a long winter. The crocus are starting to emerge from their shells to bring some much needed color to the dead leaves and grass as the world comes back to life after a long wintry hibernation. My second favorite playtime is a crisp fall afternoon, as the sun shines like it never will again, turning the leaves beautiful shades of red and orange you could never imagine on your own. There are piles of leaves everywhere you just can’t resist kicking a pile and crunching through them like a kid again. Never mind the leaf dust trail you’ll track into the house or car, off to your next adventure.

I’m with Sue and Joan, we all complain about the weather, but I love that we have all the season’s in the Midwest and Mother Nature makes a little of each of them just beautiful.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I have this weird, secret little pleasure in the bitter cold weather ... it's kicking the packed snow out of the wheel wells on my car. Isn't that just insane? Although I generally hate the cold, I find a lot to pick and pluck in the winter, including hanging icicles (I bring them inside and put them in the freezer) and swoshing the snow caps off the mail box. I get a kick out of stabbing through a chunk of icy snow at the curb with my hoe and then hoisting the heavy thing up and flinging it away from the street. There's something kind of lumberjacky or mountaneery about these unique little chores that takes me out of my typical suburban cushy life. On another note, I love the footprints that the cats make when they go out, the little bird tracks around the seed feeders, and the drifts and snow puffs on the old flowers and grass. Enjoy your view, Deborah! It's so pretty out there.

Anonymous said...

When I think of playtime.....Hmmmm....After taking a beading class at Bella, having made another beautiful project....during a newly fallen snow sitting on the couch snuggled under a blanket with a husband watching a really good movie.
Carol

Anonymous said...

My Favorite Playtime: I grew up in the country and we did not have much to do but play outside when I was younger. When I think of my favorite playtime then it would be playing with my brothers and sister. I had many that I enjoyed.

We had a car wash that we rode our big wheels under. We made a gas station and grocery store. We would spend hours outside.

During a rainstorm we could go outside and run through the big puddles that flowed down our street.

After the rainstorm we would go sledding down the mud hill in the back. Mom didn't like it much!

After the snow we would make forts. We each had our own rooms.

Taking the mattress off the bed and sliding down the stairs. All five of us on the same mattress.

Dad taking us into town with the tractor and all of us in the trailer. Ice Cream!!!

Getting yelled at by Mom because I was out watching the tornados.

Spending the night with my Dad under the stars.

Spook - A game we would play in our house with all the lights out we would hide and scare each other.

Fishing with grandpa.

Singing with grandma. She recorded me. I was not that great!

Riding my bike into town to get candy.

Going to the park to watch the deer and grandma telling me to try to catch one.

These are the things that make me smile. I love spending time with my brothers and sisters talking about all the things we use to do. I wouldn't change growing up in the country for anything!!!!

Lola Enchanted said...

Your view is spectacular!!!